« Back to Job List
Lateral/Exceptional Police Officer - City of Redmond ( Job # 13-0010)
Minimum Salary: $5,629.00 per month
Maximum Salary: $6,521.00 per month
Employment Type: Full Time
Open until filled.
(Open to current employees and the general public.)
Redmond police officers participate in activities that support the department's mission statement: "To provide law enforcement services to our community that reflect our core values of Respect, Professionalism, Dedication and Leadership." Officers perform patrol functions which include enforcing laws, community problem solving, leading crime prevention meetings, making arrests and booking defendants, writing reports, enforcing traffic laws, responding to routine and emergency calls, testifying in court, and assisting the public. Physical demands of the position require aerobic capacity, anaerobic power, muscular strength and endurance to sufficiently perform assignments.
Redmond Police Vision Statement:
The Redmond Police Department is an organization dedicated to customer service and problem solving through collaboration and communication. We work to ensure an environment which values trust, excellence and accountability through leadership.
Values of the Redmond Police Department:
Respect, Professionalism, Dedication, Leadership, Commitment to Service, Integrity, Accountability
Age 21 by date of certification of eligibility list.
Completion of 90 quarter/60 semester hours from an accredited college or university.
Current Washington State Driver's License upon appointment and insurable driving record.
Ability to complete the selection process.
Must be United States citizen.
Ability to successfully meet police officer certification requirements established by the Washington State Criminal Justice Training Commission.
For Lateral Applicants: Must have been employed as a full-time sworn officer for a minimum of 24 months within the last five years. For Exceptional Applicants: Must have been employed as a full-time sworn officer for less than 24 months within the last five years.
The City of Redmond provides a generous benefits package including: medical, dental and vision benefits; paid sick leave, vacation and holidays; retirement; and life insurance.
The Redmond Police Department employees participate in the Municipal Employees' Benefit Trust (MEBT) program (in lieu of Social Security).
Additional incentive pay: Police Officers will receive the following incentives above their base pay scale:
1. Holiday bank pay (144 hrs. annually) paid in December (Officers can elect to take pay or time off).
2. PT bonus- 2.5% (distinguished) or 1.5% (competent) of the annual salary amount.
3. Accreditation pay- 1.25% of the salary
4. 2.75% for patrol officers in lieu of specialty pay
5. Longevity pay ranges from 1% to 4.5% (1-25 year matrix schedule)
6. Education pay ranges from .75% to 2.5% for AA Degree (1-25 year matrix schedule) or 1.5% to 5% for Bachelor’s Degree (1-25 year matrix schedule)
7. Specialty pay assignments (detectives/traffic, etc.) is 4%, with K9 at 3%
The department strongly subscribes and operates under the tenets of community oriented policing and quality management practices. Work is performed both in the field and office. Majority of tasks are done while seated at a work station. Shift rotations occur to cover 24-hour days, seven days a week, weekends and holidays. Frequent and repetitive use of telephone & radio communications equipment.
Applicants who meet the minimum requirements may be invited to participate in the testing process. This is a continuous recruitment and applications will be screened as openings occur.
As part of the oral board interview process, applicants will be given a writing assignment to complete. The exercise will evaluate the candidate's writing skills. A passing score of 70% is required.
Conducted immediately following written exercise. A passing score of 70% is required.
Physical ability, polygraph, psychological, drug screening, medical exam and extensive on-site background investigation will also be required of selected candidates being considered for hire. Any time during or after any portion of the selection process there are questions, concerns, information on review, retest, or an appeal on a decision made, a written request is required from the applicant and will be forwarded to the Redmond Civil Service Commission for their review.
Those requesting "veteran's preference" must complete the appropriate form at the time of the oral interview and provide a copy of their DD214.
A City of Redmond application, veteran's preference form and college education statement must be completed. Fulfillment of bargaining unit agreement membership is required within 30 days of hire. The City of Redmond has adopted a "no smoking" policy in all buildings and vehicles.
Applicants who fail one of the phases of the testing process are eligible to reapply for this position after six (6) months from the date of examination. Applicants who fail a component of the background process are eligible to reapply for this position after thirty six (36) months from the date removed from the eligibility list.
The City of Redmond Police Department will automatically disqualify any individual who has at any time:
- Been convicted of a felony (or pled nolo contendere to a felony charge) or any offense that would be a felony if committed in Washington State, or has been incarcerated for any crime.
- Sold marijuana, narcotics or dangerous drugs.
- All illegal drug use will be closely scrutinized on a case by case basis.
- Had a pattern of abusing prescription medication.
- Been dishonorably discharged from the United States armed forces.
- Received more than two moving traffic violations within the preceding 3 years; or reckless driving violation within the preceding 5 years; or driving while license suspended within the preceding 5 years; or driving while intoxicated within the preceding five years.
- Been involved in more than one motor vehicle accident within the preceding 3 years for which the applicant received a traffic or criminal citation and was convicted, forfeited bail, or entered a plea of "guilty" or "nolo contendere."
- Been previously employed as a law enforcement agent and since has committed or violated federal, state or city laws pertaining to criminal activity.
- Committed any serious violation of Federal, State, City or County laws.
- Lied during any stage of the hiring process.
- Falsified his or her personal history questionnaire or application, or failed to disclose pertinent information.
- Been convicted of any crime under a domestic violence statue.
- Unlawful sexual misconduct.
The following disqualifiers may, upon review by the Redmond Police Department, make you ineligible to become a City of Redmond Police Officer:
- Alcohol or substance misuse and/or abuse.
- Excessive traffic violations.
- Commission of a felony.
- A demonstrated unwillingness to honor fiscal contracts or just debts.
- Any other conduct or pattern of conduct that would tend to disrupt, diminish, or otherwise jeopardize public trust in the law enforcement profession.
- An inability to perform the essential functions of a Police Officer.
8701 160th Avenue NE
Redmond, WA 98052