« Back to Job List
Experienced/Lateral Police Officer - City of Mercer Island ( Job # 13-0025)
Minimum Salary: $60,116.00 per year
Maximum Salary: $90,000.00 per year
Employment Type: Full Time
Closes: June 14, 2013 at 5:00 PM
(Open to current employees and the general public.)
Police Department Mission
The Mercer Island Police Department strives to provide a full range of police services while respecting individual rights and freedoms.
The mission of the Mercer Island Police Department is to contribute to Mercer Island’s reputation as a safe, friendly, economically thriving community in which to live, work, learn, play and visit. We achieve our mission by providing the highest quality law enforcement and community education services possible within the resources provided to us. We are professional, compassionate, highly-trained, technologically-advanced, and provide services that meet or exceed the expectations of our community.
The Mercer Island Police Department is a progressive law enforcement agency that exemplifies professionalism and service to the community. The department employs 32 commissioned police officers who serve a unique community with a population of 22,000. The department offers many specialty assignments to its officers; to include community, school, and marine related positions.
We provide a wide range of services to the people who live and work on Mercer Island, including:
• Routine patrol, including enforcement of criminal and traffic laws.
• Answering calls for service and taking appropriate police action.
• Follow-up investigations of criminal cases.
• Bicycle patrol of the Central Business District, Parks, and the I-90 corridor.
• Marine patrol in the waters of Mercer Island, Bellevue, and Renton.
• Community Oriented Policing and Emergency Management Programs.
The City of Mercer Island is a suburban community located in the middle of Lake Washington, between the cities of Seattle and Bellevue. The Interstate 90 Freeway transverses the north end of Mercer Island.
Compensation & Benefits
The City is primarily a single-family residential community. A commercial business district and multi-family dwellings are concentrated at the north end of the island. The Mercer Island Police Department serves the 6.2 mile island, and the surrounding waters. Additionally, the Mercer Island Police Department provides marine patrol services to the cities of Bellevue and Renton.
The starting salary for an entry-level Police Officer is $60,116*. The top step for a Police Officer is $90,000* (Including longevity pay).
Application & Selection Process
Depending on experience, “lateral” officers and “experienced” officers may begin at a pay rate higher than the starting salary rate.
Specialty units receive premium pay, such as FTO’s, Detectives, Marine Patrol Officers, Special Operations Team members, Dive Team members and others.
Mercer Island Police Officers also receive a comprehensive benefits package, including medical/dental/vision insurance, long-term disability, life insurance, and more.
*Does not reflect specialty pay or education incentive of $100 per month for AA Degree or $175 per month for BA or BS Degree.
The closing date for this position is June 14, 2013 at 5:00pm. To be considered for this position, lateral or experienced applicants must submit the following at: https://apply.govjobstoday.com/ and click on City of Mercer Island to apply online for this position:
Police Officer Position
• Cover Letter
Additionally, lateral and experienced applicants must email email@example.com the following documents (which may not be submitted through https://apply.govjobstoday.com/):
• Copies of Last Two Performance Evaluations
• Copy of Training Records
• Copy of Police Officer Certification
Following the filing date, Experienced and Lateral applicant resumes will be screened in relation to the criteria outlined in this brochure. The oral board process will be held at the Mercer Island Police Department mid to late July. Candidates selected for an interview will be notified by June 20th. Questions? Contact Sgt Keith McDonough at 206-275-7910 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Entry-Level Candidate Must Apply Through Publicsafetytesting.com
Applicants selected as finalists for this position will be subject to a criminal history/driver’s license check prior to the interview process.
Patrol section officers work 8.5 hours per shift, with 6 days on-duty, followed by 3 days off. Most non-uniformed officers work 10 hour shifts, with 4 days on-duty, followed by 3 days off. All uniforms and equipment (including academy uniforms) are supplied by the department. Uniform cleaning is also provided by the department. Examples of patrol officer duties include:
• Provide assistance to the public in emergency and non-emergency situations.
• Perform crisis intervention in sensitive situations such as family disputes.
• Provide general information to the public on laws and ordinances.
• Assists persons with complains and inquiries or directs them to the appropriate authorities.
• Patrols an assigned area to aid in preventing crime and to enforce federal, state and city laws and regulations.
• Conducts interviews of victims, witnesses and suspects and submits progress reports on cases under investigation. Collects and documents evidence.
• Appears in court, and is available to testify in matters which the officer has knowledge of.
• Prepares and maintains legible, concise and understandable activity logs and other related or similar types of information as a personal reference records of incidents.
The Mercer Island Police Department is actively recruiting qualified candidates for the position of Police Officer. Entry Level, Experienced and Lateral candidates are encouraged to apply with our department. The description, qualifications and application process for each of the three categories of applicant are listed within this brochure. If you wish to speak with a Police Department representative who is knowledgeable with the recruitment process, please call Sgt Keith McDonough at 206-275-7910 or send an email to email@example.com.
• Entry Level candidates are required to take and pass the written examination and physical agility test administered by PublicSafetyTesting.com
• All candidates must attend and pass an oral interview in front of a Police Oral Interview Panel (successful candidates will be notified by the Department when this will take place).
• Candidates must undergo an extensive background investigation, including an aptitude examination and polygraph examination.
• Candidates who receive a conditional offer of employment must pass a psychological and medical examination, including a drug screening.
The City is conducting an experienced and lateral recruitment process simultaneously. Entry-level candidates are always encouraged to apply and must do so through Publicsafetytesting.com. Experienced and Lateral candidates must apply through the City’s employment page at https://apply.govjobstoday.com/ and click on City of Mercer Island. In order to qualify as an experienced or lateral candidate, applicants must meet the following qualifications:
General Minimum Qualifications for All Applicants
To qualify for this category the applicant must have been a full-time, fully commissioned and certified law enforcement officer with less than twenty-four (24) months of the last thirty-six (36) months in that position. Additionally, the applicant must possess a Washington State Peace Officers Certification or the equivalent. Applicants meeting these qualifications must submit a cover letter, resume, and application through https://apply.govjobstoday.com/ and click on City of Mercer Island (Please see Application and Selection Process of this recruitment notice for additional submittal materials required.)
To qualify for this category, the applicant will need to have been a full-time, fully commissioned and certified law enforcement officer with at least twenty-four (24) months of the last thirty-six (36) months in that position. Additionally, the applicant must possess a Washington State Peace Officers Certification or the equivalent. Applicants meeting these qualifications must submit a cover letter, resume, and application through https://apply.govjobstoday.com/ and click on City of Mercer Island (Please see Application and Selection Process of this recruitment notice for additional submittal materials required.)
• Must be 21 years of age or older at the time of application.
• U.S. Citizenship is required for employment.
• Demonstrated excellent work attendance.
• Possess or obtain a valid Washington State driver’s license (before the end of the probationary period).
• Good driving record
• Possess good written and verbal communication skills
• Possess interpersonal and customer service skills
• Able to prioritize and solve problems, utilize and enforce city and state codes, read maps and effectively multi-task.
• Must be in excellent physical condition.
• A minimum requirement of an AA Degree or 90 college credits from an accredited college or university. (This requirement may be waived for Experienced and Lateral officers.)
9611 SE 36th Street
Mercer Island, WA 98040