« Back to Job List
Auto Service / Small Equipment Worker - City of Redmond ( Job # 13-0069)
Minimum Salary: $3,922.00 per month
Maximum Salary: $4,706.00 per month
Employment Type: Full Time
Department: Public Works
Closes: October 23, 2013 at 5:00 PM
This position will diagnose, repair, overhaul and maintain small engines and tools utilized by the City to minimize down time due to malfunctioning equipment; equipment includes but is not limited to: weed eaters, rotary mowers, generators, and trailers. Other responsibilities of this position include: performing journey level maintenance on small engines and equipment; assisting mechanics on routine maintenance of city vehicles, including oil and air filter changes, and brake and tire replacement. Work is done with considerable independence but follows pre-determined policies, procedures, schedules and industrial standards.
Hours and Duration:
Scheduled hours will follow the City of Redmond’s 9/80 schedule. Monday - Thursday, 7 am to 4:30 pm. First Friday 7 am to 3:30, second Friday off. This position is a regular status, full time position.
• Inspect, diagnose and repair malfunctions, by adjusting or replacing parts, on small equipment and tools that are gasoline, propane, electrical or diesel powered
• Perform tune-ups for the City’s small engine and tools, including changing oil and air filters, installing new spark plugs and adjusting brakes
• Assist in the maintenance of the City’s fleet of vehicles by performing preventive maintenance routines, including performing oil changes, replacing filters, adjusting brakes and rotating tires
• Maintain, rebuild and replace air, hydraulic, brake systems and other defective parts as required
• Repair, change, balance and align tires
• Lubricate and sharpen peripheral components on tools and equipment like blades/rotary deck mowers and chain saws
• Perform inspections for leaks and replenish hydraulic fluid levels
• Repair and replace batteries and electrical wiring
• Other duties as assigned
Knowledge of and Skill in:
• Methods, materials and tools used in maintaining small engines and equipment
• Gas engines, hydraulic and shop techniques
• Diesel engine principles and techniques
• Industrial and shop safety rules and procedures
• Proper record keeping
• Provide excellent customer service
• Interpret and apply specifications from manuals and tune-up handbooks
• Maintain and overhaul small engines for equipment such as lawn mowers and chain saws
• Operate tools used in the maintenance process
• Effectively problem solve and exercise sound judgment
• Communicate verbally and in writing
• Demonstrate a positive attitude and a high level of initiative, effort and commitment
• Work independently and as part of a team
• Effectively manage workload and responsibilities
Education and Experience:
Any combination of education and experience equivalent to a high school diploma and two (2) years experience in small engine repair or a combination of relevant experience and course work in mechanical repair and combustion engines.
Licenses and Requirements:
Valid Washington State Commercial Driver's License by date of hire and a driving record that meets City standards. Possession of a valid flagging card and/or an adult first aid/CPR card is desirable. Successful candidate must provide own steel-toed, safety boots.
Work is performed primarily in a shop environment. Hazardous exposure on the job includes moving mechanical parts, loud noise, vapor, fumes, dust and toxic chemicals. Physical effort is required to lift up to 75 pounds. Subject to call back for emergency repairs.
Fulfillment of bargaining unit agreement membership is required within 30 days of hire.
The City of Redmond offers an excellent benefit package including medical, dental and vision, retirement, sick leave, holidays and vacation.
City of Redmond Values:
Integrity: We demonstrate sound, honest, truthful and consistent actions.
Accountability: We take ownership of our actions and responsibilities.
Commitment to Service: We are dedicated to seeking solutions for our community.
The City may review existing application pools to fill this position, or use this pool to fill future vacancies.
Candidates who are selected to interview will be required to complete a Background Authorization Form.
Public Works Maintenance
18080 NE 76th Street
Redmond, WA 98052