« Back to Job List
Source Control Program Administrator - City of Redmond ( Job # 13-0078)
Minimum Salary: $5,115.00 per month
Maximum Salary: $6,526.00 per month
Employment Type: Full Time
Department: Public Works
Closes: December 13, 2013 at 11:30 PM
(Open to current employees and the general public.)
The Source Control Program Administrator ensures compliance with established local, state and federal regulations and works to develop city policies to set discharge limits, increase enforcement ability and set standards to allow for better monitoring of what is entering the sanitary sewer system. In addition, the Program Administrator provides technical assistance and educational services to local businesses to help prevent contaminants and hazardous waste from damaging City infrastructure.
Under the direction of the Wastewater Maintenance Operations Supervisor, the selected candidate will:
• Administer the Source Control Program to mitigate degradation of or blockages in the public sewer system from fats, oil and grease and other industrial or chemical discharges
• Develop, communicate, and enforce city policies to prevent contaminates and hazardous waste from entering the environment or damaging city infrastructure
• Maintain effective, professional, collaborative working relationships with multiple departments/divisions within the city, other jurisdictions, local businesses, contractors, vendors, and residents
• Develop a public outreach program and provide public outreach information to commercial/residential customers pertaining to treatment and reduction of grease and other discharges to the sanitary sewer collection systems
• Develop schedules and conduct inspections of industrial and commercial discharge facilities.
• Perform pretreatment monitoring, investigating and compliance activities designed to ensure compliance with discharge standards and city policies
• Investigate, analyze and determine source of unusual discharges in collection systems and recommend appropriate action
• Develop and maintain a hazard classification map to identify and assign risk classifications to pipelines using GIS and asset management program
• Maintain a comprehensive computer database, asset management and GIS programs inventorying businesses and maintaining inspection and compliance information
• Develop and maintain a comprehensive condition assessment tool for the City’s wastewater infrastructure; using multiple data sources to create a GIS database and map displaying the condition of the wastewater system
• Prepare detailed reports, as necessary, to demonstrate compliance with all applicable federal, state and local rules and regulations, as they relate to wastewater operation and management
• Assist with emergency or routine wastewater maintenance operations
• Perform other duties as assigned
Knowledge of and skill in:
• Developing and managing programs
• Environmental protection and utility based programs, laws, regulations and policy processes
• Data collection, analysis and interpretation techniques
• Federal, state and local environmental regulations related to waste water source control or pretreatment
• Conducting investigations regarding potential hazardous chemicals or degradation
• Utilizing Geographic information system applications (GIS), and database management
• Utilizing and reading maps and using mapping related software
• Reading and interpreting lab results
Education and Experience:
• Communicate effectively both orally and in writing
• Develop regulations and procedures
• Handle multiple priorities in an organized and effective manner
• Exercise sound judgment and effectively problem solve
• Demonstrate a high level of initiative, effort and commitment
• Embody the City Values of Commitment to Service, Integrity and Accountability
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships with fellow employees, industrial user, consultants, officials and the general public
• Communicate effectively and tactfully with individuals and groups regarding complex or controversial public policy issues or regulations
• Work independently and as part of a team
• Use personal computer and applicable software to perform word processing, spreadsheet, GIS mapping and specialized functions and relational databases
A combination of education and experience equivalent to: two (2) years college level coursework in engineering, environmental science or related field and four (4) years of progressively responsible related experience. A bachelor’s degree in the physical or biological sciences or environmental science with some course work related to waste/water resources, environmental science, quality, and pollution control is preferred, and may substitute for two (2) years of experience.
Licenses and Requirements:
Valid Washington State Driver’s License by date of hire with a driving record that meets City standards. Confined Space Certification and Wastewater Collection Class III Certificate desired.
Work is performed outside and inside, sometimes in inclement weather and confined spaces. Work is performed primarily in an office setting with fieldwork required to review projects and inspections. Drive a city vehicle to conduct work. Some portions of pump stations and the collection system are hot, cramped or malodorous. Some surfaces are slippery or open grate. Employees risk physical hazards from traffic, potentially toxic gases, fumes and infectious diseases. Incumbents are required to lift up to 50 pounds, climb ladders and stairs, enter 24 inch diameter access openings, bend, twist, squat, and stoop, kneel and reach. Position requires manual dexterity, hearing and visual acuity.
Fulfillment of bargaining unit agreement membership is required within 30 days of hire.
The City of Redmond provides a generous benefits package including: medical, dental and vision benefits; paid sick leave, vacation and holidays; retirement; and life insurance.
Integrity: We demonstrate sound, honest, truthful and consistent actions.
Accountability: We take ownership of our actions and responsibilities.
Commitment to Service: We are dedicated to seeking solutions for our community.
Please include a resume and cover letter with your application.
Candidates who are selected to interview will be required to complete a Background Authorization Form.
Public Works Maintenance
18080 NE 76th Street
Redmond, WA 98052