« Back to Job List
Public Information Officer (Police Program Coordinator) - City of Redmond ( Job # 13-0080)
Minimum Salary: $4,562.00 per month
Maximum Salary: $5,792.00 per month
Employment Type: Full Time
Closes: December 15, 2013 at 11:30 PM
(Open to current employees and the general public.)
A hiring eligibility list is being established to fill one existing vacancy.
Under the direction of the Community Outreach Lieutenant, serves as the Police Department’s public information officer and coordinates and manages community outreach messaging. Duties include but are not limited to:
Primary contact for media inquiries about the department regarding activities and cases occurring within the agency; preparing public information and media release bulletins; conducting on-camera media interviews; assisting with the development of community and business group partnerships.
Developing organizational feature stories and concept pitches including conducting fact finding and research.
Creating content for publication in print, electronic, digital, web and social media platforms, including digital imaging and photography. Producing radio sound bites for public service announcements.
Implement and manage Police Department social media networks; develop and maintain content across media platforms.
Acting as the primary writer and editor for collateral materials such as brochures, newsletters, flyers, posters, press releases and feature stories.
Preparing reports; maintaining files and records; and
Performing other duties as assigned.
Knowledge of: Communications, public relations and utilization of social media techniques and strategies, office practices, procedures and equipment; business English and composition.
Skill in: public speaking techniques; use of personal computer equipment and software MS Office software including Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint; web administration; database management.
Ability to: Communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing with department staff, be adept at writing for public relation purposes; have the judgment and maturity to work effectively with members of the media and with online news outlets, civic and elected officials, managers and directors, and the public. The incumbent must problem solve complex situations, handle sensitive information and adhere to strict confidentiality requirements.
Education & Experience:
Any combination equivalent to a Bachelor’s Degree in Public Administration, Public Relations, Communications, Digital Communications or related field with two (2) or more years of applicable experience. Work experience within a public sector setting and a Master’s Degree in Public Administration, Communications, Digital Communications and/or Marketing are desired.
Must possess a valid Washington State driver's license by date of hire and maintain an insurable driving record by City standards. Polygraph, drug screening and extensive background investigation will be required of selected candidates being considered for hire.
Fulfillment of bargaining unit agreement membership is required within 30 days on hire.
Work is performed primarily in an office environment. May be required to occasionally lift boxes or files, usually not exceeding 30 pounds. May involve travel to a variety of locations within the City and may occasionally be required to travel to conferences, etc. Work schedule is flexible and includes some evenings, weekends and holidays as needed; rotating on-call status after hours.
Final candidates will be notified of assessment center dates.
Assessment center consists of: writing exercise, oral presentation and interview (tentatively scheduled for January 9 and 10, 2014).
Background Investigation: Polygraph, psychological, drug screening, medical exam and extensive on-site background investigation will also be required of selected candidates being considered for hire.
Veteran's Preference: Those requesting "veteran's preference" may request the form at time of interview
The City of Redmond offers an excellent benefit package including medical, dental and vision, retirement, sick leave, holidays and vacation.
Integrity: We demonstrate sound, honest, truthful and consistent actions.
Accountability: We take ownership of our actions and responsibilities.
Commitment to Service: We are dedicated to seeking solutions for our community.
The City of Redmond Police Department will automatically disqualify any individual who has at any time:
· Been convicted of a felony (or pled nolo contendere to a felony charge) or any offense that would be a felony if committed in Washington State, or has been incarcerated for any crime.
· Sold marijuana, narcotics or dangerous drugs.
· All illegal drug use will be closely scrutinized on a case by case basis.
· Had a pattern of abusing prescription medication.
· Been dishonorably discharged from the United States armed forces.
· Received more than two moving traffic violations within the preceding 3 years; or reckless driving violation within the preceding 5 years; or driving while license suspended within the preceding 5 years; or driving while intoxicated within the preceding five years.
· Been involved in more than one motor vehicle accident within the preceding 3 years for which the applicant received a traffic or criminal citation and was convicted, forfeited bail, or entered a plea of "guilty" or "nolo contendere."
· Been previously employed as a law enforcement agent and since has committed or violated federal, state or city laws pertaining to criminal activity.
· Committed any serious violation of Federal, State, City or County laws.
· Lied during any stage of the hiring process.
· Falsified his or her personal history questionnaire or application, or failed to disclose pertinent information.
· Been convicted of any crime under a domestic violence statue.
· Unlawful sexual misconduct.
The following disqualifiers may, upon review by the Redmond Police Department, make you ineligible:
· Alcohol or substance misuse and/or abuse.
· Excessive traffic violations.
· Commission of a felony.
· A demonstrated unwillingness to honor fiscal contracts or just debts.
· Any other conduct or pattern of conduct that would tend to disrupt, diminish, or otherwise jeopardize public trust in the law enforcement profession.
· An inability to perform the essential functions of the position.
8701 160th Avenue NE
Redmond, WA 98052