« Back to Job List
Stormwater Operations Supervisor - City of Redmond ( Job # 14-0019)
Minimum Salary: $6,125.00 per month
Maximum Salary: $8,269.00 per month
Employment Type: Full Time
Department: Public Works
Closes: March 10, 2014 at 11:30 PM
(Open to current employees and the general public.)
The City is seeking a leader who will mentor and engage employees, and who will strategically align with the City values, incorporating them in all aspects of decision making, operations and daily interactions. The incumbent will implement and coordinate with other City divisions for compliance with National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) Program and Low Impact Development (LID), which govern stormwater functions, permits, discharges, and related environmental regulatory requirements. The system supports a population of approximately 54,000 via 220 miles of pipe, over 10,000 catch basins/manholes, 100 ponds/bioswales, 215 underground detention vaults/pipes and currently in design is a stormwater quality treatment facility. Under the direction of the Maintenance Operations Manager, the Stormwater Operations Supervisor is responsible for directing the operation, repair and maintenance of the City’s stormwater conveyance system. This position manages employees, financial resources, equipment, and budget. This position also develops short and long-range strategic plans; and works with consultants, contractors and City engineers and staff to plan and implement capital improvement projects.
The City of Redmond is committed to the principles of high performance and continuous improvement and to the following values:
Integrity: We demonstrate sound, honest, truthful and consistent actions.
Accountability: We take ownership of our actions and responsibilities.
Commitment to Service: We are dedicated to seeking solutions for our community.
· Interpret and apply environmental policies and regulation with maintenance and operations functions
· Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with City policy, ensuring alignment between the work program and City values and strategy.
· Schedules, executes, and monitors activities related to the operation, maintenance and repair of the stormwater system, including pump stations, vehicles and related system equipment.
· Plans, directs, coordinates and reviews the work plan for the division; identifies and resolves problems; assigns work activities, projects and programs; evaluates the effectiveness of programs, policies and procedures.
· Develops standard operating procedures and implements policy and procedural changes.
· Ensures that equipment and materials are maintained and available; oversees purchasing.
· Responds to citizen concerns and issues; determines and recommends appropriate resolutions to maintain positive customer relations. Provides quality customer service in a timely, thorough and effective manner.
· Develops and monitors short and long-term strategic plans for the Division.
· Focuses on customer service and builds internal and external partnerships to accomplish departmental goals and objectives.
· Oversees the development and management of the Division’s data and records systems.
· Manages public information relating to stormwater issues.
· Develops, recommends and monitors the Division budget; performs cost control activities and monitors expenditures to assure sound fiscal control. Oversees capital improvement budgets for individual projects.
· Researches special projects, evaluates alternatives and prepares reports.
· Responds to emergencies as required and coordinates activities with other responders to provide effective response.
Knowledge of: principles and practices of supervision, including training, and performance evaluation; the strategies, structures and systems associated with high performing organizations; methods and operations applied in the planning, design, construction, operation, repair and maintenance of a stormwater conveyance system; NPDES permit and LID requirements; environmental regulations and protection methods; personnel management; purchasing procedures and budget preparation; safety standards and regulatory compliance requirements; and knowledge of ARCGIS and asset management programs desired.
Skill in: communicating with employees, engineers, City administrators, and the public; effectively managing staff; training and mentoring employees; strategic planning; interpreting regulations and practical application and implementation and using Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, and data management software.
Ability to: mentor, motivate and engage employees; align with the values, mission and goals of the City and with those of the Department; establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees, divisions, vendors, contractors, public officials and the general public; communicate effectively, both orally and in writing; analyze data, measure results and generate reports; and plan, organize and schedule work assignments.
Education & Experience:
Any combination of education and experience equivalent to two years of college level courses in a related field such as but not limited to engineering, environmental, planning, public administration, and five (5) years progressively responsible experience in Stormwater operations or related area, including at least three (3) years in a supervisory or lead capacity, or other closely related work experience that provides the knowledge, skills and abilities needed to perform this job. Bachelor’s degree preferred.
Licenses and Requirements:
Valid Washington State driver's license by date of hire, and a driving record that meets City standards.
The City of Redmond provides a generous benefits package including: medical, dental and vision benefits; paid sick leave, vacation and holidays; retirement; and life insurance.
Candidates who are selected to interview will be required to complete a Background Authorization Form.
Public Works Maintenance
18080 NE 76th Street
Redmond, WA 98052