« Back to Job List
Administrative Assistant (Part Time) - City of Mercer Island ( Job # 17-0018)
Minimum Salary: $26.80 per hour
Maximum Salary: $30.16 per hour
Employment Type: Part Time
Department: Public Works
Closes: May 01, 2017 at 5:00 PM
(Open to current employees and the general public.)
The Public Works Administrative Assistant performs routine clerical duties; answers phones, greets the public and maintains records for all divisions of the Public Works Department including engineering, streets/right of way, utilities, and a variety of support services such as customer response and fleet. Excellent customer service and computer skills are essential to completing a wide variety of responsible and complex tasks requiring independent decision-making and discretion. This position requires someone who is self-directed, works cooperatively and effectively with internal and external customers. Membership in AFSCME Union required.
CLOSES: Monday, May 1 @ 5:00 pm
DEPARTMENT: Public Works
STARTING SALARY: $26.80-$30.16/hour DOE + Great Benefits – Non-Exempt – Part Time (60%) Contracted through 12/31/2018 – AFSCME Union membership required
• Greets or directs office visitors, answers telephones, provides routine information to the public, dispatches, takes messages, or refers callers to appropriate personnel, opens and distributes mail.
• Responds to email and website inquiries or refers to appropriate personnel.
• Creates work orders for internal and external customer requests.
• Files records, develops and maintains electronic and paper project filing systems for use by staff.
• Coordinates public records request for the department. Assists in preparing, maintaining and archiving records for retention in compliance with State of Washington Archiving DAN’s.
• Ensures adequate supplies are ordered and available for the Public Works Department.
• Maintains the Department's Call Out Book with emergency contact numbers for all area utilities, City departments and City employees.
• Tracks monthly maintenance and operation costs for the City's fleet, maintains files and prepares monthly and quarterly reports.
• Coordinates quarterly Fleet Committee; prepares packets, minutes and attends meetings.
• Assists during emergency situations (EOC support).
• Assists with event outreach and coordination.
• Assist in preparing, maintaining and archiving records into the City’s electronic file management system (SIRE).
• Assist during project bid process; uploading plans and specs to plan center website, update city website, assist with disseminating questions/addenda to plan holders, schedule bid openings & coordinate with City Clerk’s Office.
• Assist during pre-construction and or project review meetings; attends meetings with project manager as note taker, produces minutes and schedules meeting rooms.
• Assist with community involvement; newsletter and meeting material preparation, bulk mailings, sign-in sheet, attend meetings with project manager as note taker and help set up meeting rooms etc.
• Prepare, proof and edit a variety of documents; memos, correspondence, transmittals, mailings, project status, budget summary and power point presentations.
• Provide general engineering information to the public as requested (construction standard drawings, program/project information).
• Assist with project close-out; once all notices received work with PM for project close-out.
• Ability to drive a city vehicle, possess a current and valid Washington State driver’s license and good driving record.
• Must have regular and predictable work attendance to fulfill the essential functions of the job.
• Other related duties as assigned.
• Graduation from accredited high school or GED equivalent.
• Minimum of two years office/clerical experience.
• Experience in a Public Works or a municipal government environment desired.
• Proficient computer skills in using current Microsoft Office Products (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
• Skilled in problem solving and can make immediate decisions.
• Able to manage multiple tasks and track timelines. Ability to respond effectively to changing priorities and urgencies and maintain a sense of control.
• Ability to interact calmly and tactfully with the public and internal customers.
• Clear speaking voice and fluency in the English language.
• Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships. Must have professional demeanor, courteous, patient and efficient.
• Must have excellent spelling and grammar skills and effectively communicate complex and technical concepts.
• Knowledge and experience with office equipment including multi-line phones, copiers, fax machines, scanners, digital cameras, cell phones, pagers, and radio equipment.
• Willingness to take on new assignments.
• Attendance at evening meetings may be required.
• Ability to drive a City vehicle, possess a current and valid Washington State driver's license and good driving record. Evidence of a good driving record is a condition of employment and a complete driving abstract will be required.
Working Conditions and Physical Abilities
• Completion of a Nationwide and Washington State criminal history background check is required in order to determine any past conviction history of crimes against persons, sexual assault or exploitation, and sexual or physical abuse and must be able to pass a thorough background check as required by the Child/Adult Abuse Information Act.
• Completion of an I-9 Form, documenting eligibility to work in the United States.
Tools and Equipment Used
Work is performed independently and requires prolonged sitting and fine manipulation skills, often involving repetitive tasks which require routine ergonomics practices. Minimal lifting of 11-20 lbs. may be required. The work is normally performed indoors, but does require occasional field work to perform various types of inventory, assessments and administration of contracts. Exposure to noise, vibration, hazardous and toxic materials, fumes, gases and odors is routine.
Various types of materials are used, i.e. paper records, reports, minutes, spreadsheets, maps, purchase orders, invoices, contracts, fuel receipts. Equipment used - computers, printers, copiers, fax machines, scanners, calculator, digital cameras, telephone, cell phones, pagers, radio equipment.
Public Works Shop
9601 SE 36th Street
Mercer Island, WA 98040