GovJobsToday.com is the gateway to public service jobs in the Pacific Northwest.

« Back to Job List

Public Works Intern - City of Kenmore ( Job # 19-0007)

Minimum Salary: $17.00 per hour
Maximum Salary: $17.00 per hour
Employment Type: Internship
Department: Public Works Surface Water
Open until filled.. Applications first reviewed on: Monday, April 29, 2019
(Open to current employees and the general public.)

Summary

The City of Kenmore is looking for public works interns to perform field work during summer 2019.  Major duties will include the mapping and inspection of the city’s stormwater system.  The internship is expected to last 10-12 weeks and will assist the City’s surface water technicians approximately 25% of the time and will work independently the other 75%. 

 


Essential Duties

Duties may include but are not limited to:

  • Open, lift and pull manhole lids repeatedly during the course of the work day for catch basin and manhole inspections.
  • Visually inspect catch basins, manholes, pipes and ditches for sediment loads, water quality issues and structural defects.
  • Communicate stormwater issues effectively with Kenmore citizens.
  • Other surface water management tasks as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
  • Ability to operate Windows and iOS based field computers or handheld data collections devices.
  • Ability to effectively use computers for data entry and management.
  • Ability to read and use maps effectively.
  • Ability to communicate with people of all ages.
  • Ability to use basic inspection tools.
Experience, Education &Training
  • Attending or recently attended a college or university with coursework in science, engineering, planning, environmental, or related fields.
Licenses & Certifications
  • Motor vehicle driving record will be obtained.
  • Reference checks will be conducted.
  • A background check will be conducted.
Work Environment & Physical Demands
  • Duties are performed primarily in outdoor work environments which will require exposure to varying weather and terrain conditions.
  • Work may be conducted near vehicular traffic.  Safety equipment will be provided by the City.
  • Frequent lifting, pulling, walking (in potentially steep or rough terrain), wading (in shallow stream or shoreline areas), carrying (tools and field computer), kneeling and crouching may be required.
Internship Benefits
  • On-the-job training in environmental fieldwork and emerging computer applications.
  • Acquire knowledge of municipal operations, stormwater technologies and engineering practices used in surface water management.
  • Job-related letters of reference.
  • $17.00 per hour pay.
  • Sick leave available.
  • City contributes to Social Security, Medicare, and Worker's Compensation.
Contact Information

Please contact Richard Sawyer, Environmental Services Manager, with any questions at (425) 984-6153 or email rsawyer@kenmorewa.gov.  


Attachments

Location
City of Kenmore
18120 68th Ave NE
Kenmore, WA 98028